The Amos J. Blake house, built in 1837, was designed to be a store with living quarters attached. The Blake family purchased the house in 1865, and Amos, a community leader and state legislator, set up the front rooms to use as his law office. Eventually, with the death of Amos, his son Leroy moved his insurance business into the down stairs offices. The house remained in the Blake family until 1966, when the last living family member made a gift of the house to the Fitzwilliam Historical Society. The only stipulation was that the name "Blake" always be associated with the property. Historical Society members took charge of restoring and decorating the rooms, so that each reflects a different aspect of life in Fitzwilliam.
Reaching the Fitzwilliam Historical Society